Android gaining on iPad

Previous
Next
13 messages

Sales of tablet computers running Google’s Android software rose more than ten-fold in the last year, as new figures suggest that Apple’s iPad may finally be facing serious competition.

Products made by Motorola, Samsung, Acer and others have been greeted with some critical acclaim but have failed to make a serious dent on the dominance of Apple’s iPad. According to analysis by Strategy Analytics, however, Samsung’s latest generation of Galaxy tablets has led a rise in Android tablet sales and pushed the iPad’s market share last quarter to 67 per cent, down from 96 per cent.

Android-powered tablet computers accounted for 27 percent of global sales during the last quarter, jumping from 2.3 percent a year earlier, Strategy Analytics said.

New products from companies such as Amazon are expected to further accentuate the trend.

“Amazon’s strategy of minimizing its hardware price is set to ignite the entry-level tablet segment and attract more mass-market consumers,” Neil Mawston, a London-based director for the research company, said in a statement to Bloomberg. Samsung’s tablets have been subject to legal action from Apple around the world, however. In Steve Jobs’ forthcoming biography, he is reported to have vowed to “go thermonuclear” and spend “every penny” of Apple’s $40billion cash pile to destroy Android, which he regarded as “stolen” from Apple. Google has recently launched its new version of Android, codenamed Ice Cream Sandwich, and says that while other companies are resorting to legal action it is focusing on innovation.

Total tablet sales amounted to 16.7 million units in the third quarter, more than tripling from 4.4 million a year earlier, Bloomberg said.

Article - Telegraph

As a footnote to this article , i have read elsewhere recently that the rise in popularity of Android OS on phones especially has got it noticed by the Virus and hack writing community. It is therefore now sensible to at least be cautious about which apps' you install and, at best , consider having some sort of basic intivirus app installed. I use one simply called 'Antivirus free' available on the Android market which simply scans anything new that you install to ensure it is safe - it only scans new stuff, so does not consume system recources and slow down you phone and does nothing during normal use.

This is interesting too - found it on the Daily Mirrow website.

ELDERLY people read three times faster on an iPad than ­traditional books, scientists have discovered.

Measuring volunteers’ eye movements and brain activity, experts found reading an iPad was easiest as it helped people process information on the page.

They found Kindle readers were as easy to read as books

Dr Matthias Schlesewsky, of Johannes Gutenberg ­University Mainz, said younger participants read at the same speed whatever media they used, but “older participants read faster using the tablet PC”.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2011/10/22/scientists-claim-notion-that-it-is-easier-to-read-print-on-paper-than-e-books-is-wrong-115875-23505629/#ixzz1bgqRmLYB

Hi very interesting. maybe this is due to the monitor which whenI first started using a computer always made me feel tired?

To: Anorak Nation <(Address removed)>
Sent: Monday, 24 October 2011, 10:33
Subject: Re: [Anorak Nation] Android gaining on iPad

This is interesting too - found it on the Daily Mirrow website.
ELDERLY people read three times faster on an iPad than ­traditional books, scientists have discovered.
Measuring volunteers’ eye movements and brain activity, experts found reading an iPad was easiest as it helped people process information on the page.
They found Kindle readers were as easy to read as books

Dr Matthias Schlesewsky, of Johannes Gutenberg ­University Mainz, said younger participants read at the same speed whatever media they used, but “older participants read faster using the tablet PC”.

Free thought + Free speech + Free radio = Anorak Nation

Simon Crees <(Address removed)> said:

As a footnote to this article , i have read elsewhere recently that the
rise in popularity of Android OS on phones especially has got it noticed
by the Virus and hack writing community. It is therefore now sensible to
at least be cautious about which apps' you install and, at best ,
consider having some sort of basic intivirus app installed. I use one
simply called 'Antivirus free' available on the Android market which
simply scans anything new that you install to ensure it is safe - it
only scans new stuff, so does not consume system recources and slow down
you phone and does nothing during normal use.

It's also a good idea to resist downloading Apps from non-Market sources, and keeping the third-party Market places access disallowed.

I find a bit of seriously reading the reviews and looking to see what else has come out of an App stable is a good idea as well. It's sort of like checking things out before parting with money on eBay.

Two points here:

1. The closed Apple approval needed for apps is probably precisely why the more open Android platform is more susceptable to virus writers. And also why anyone jailbreaking their iphones or ipads should be very vigilant against virii or other attacks from seemingly innocent software.

2. As I said before, we should be comparing actual hardware sold (eg Galaxy Tablet vs iPad) rather than Android vs. iPad because otherwise you're not comparing like with like. And if you compare Android vs ios, should we also not take into account the various flavours of Android.

Basically, it's a Linux vs BSD Unix argument; neither side will concede that the other has better points, while in reality the two systems are very very similar internally. Non programmers will probably see this as gobbledygook, but that's how this ex-Unix programmer sees it!

On 24 October 2011 15:10, Christopher England <(Address removed)> wrote:

As a footnote to this article , i have read elsewhere recently that the
rise in popularity of Android OS on phones especially has got it noticed
by the Virus and hack writing community. It is therefore now sensible to
at least be cautious about which apps' you install and, at best ,
consider having some sort of basic intivirus app installed. I use one
simply called 'Antivirus free' available on the Android market which
simply scans anything new that you install to ensure it is safe - it
only scans new stuff, so does not consume system recources and slow down
you phone and does nothing during normal use.

It's also a good idea to resist downloading Apps from non-Market
sources, and keeping the third-party Market places access disallowed.

I find a bit of seriously reading the reviews and looking to see what
else has come out of an App stable is a good idea as well.  It's sort of
like checking things out before parting with money on eBay.

Free thought + Free speech + Free radio = Anorak Nation

--
Regards,

Geoff

Geoff Rogers <(Address removed)> said:

2. As I said before, we should be comparing actual hardware sold (eg
Galaxy Tablet vs iPad) rather than Android vs. iPad because otherwise
you're not comparing like with like. And if you compare Android vs
ios, should we also not take into account the various flavours of
Android.

But haven't 'we' for years compared Microsoft products with Apple products, essentially just looking at the abilities of the operating systems rather than the hardware they are running on?

So, comparing Android's Yummy Yummy Ice Cream with iOS5 is exactly the same, surely? If Apple produced an operating system that wasn't just locked down to their own hardware, or if Apple produced hardware that wasn't just locked down to their own software then we could more easily compare and contrast.

Meanwhile, if it was ok to compare and contrast Microsoft with Apple, why is it suddenly not ok to compare and contrast Android with Apple?

Seems to me you iSheep are moving the iGoal-posts!

On 24 October 2011 15:56, Christopher England <(Address removed)> wrote:

Meanwhile, if it was ok to compare and contrast Microsoft with Apple,
why is it suddenly not ok to compare and contrast Android with Apple?

It is and you're deliberately not understanding what I'm saying. :-)

I'll repeat: it's fine to compare device with device or OS with OS, but not device with OS.

i.e Compare 'iPad' with Samsung Galaxy or IOS with Android. But not IOS with Samsung Galaxy or Android with iPad.

Gettit ?

i.e Compare 'iPad' with Samsung Galaxy or IOS with Android. But not
IOS with Samsung Galaxy or Android with iPad.

Mmmmmmm. Samsung Galaxy. Real man's shiny-shiny.

Only £515 for an unlocked Nexus Erection or whatever it's proper name in the UK is. More real man's shiny-shiny. Mmmmmm.

Sorry. Drifted a bit there. What were we talking about?

<Snigger>

Christopher England <(Address removed)> said:

Sorry. Drifted a bit there. What were we talking about?

Oh yes, I remember now. I suppose if we are comparing all hardware sold using Android versus all hardware sold using iOS, then that's got to be comparing like with like.

So, if we include all of history, when it comes to tablets there are various versions running iOS versus various versions of tablets running Android. Just because Android based tablets are made by different people and there are a greater variety of them available at any one time, whilst Marxist Apple doesn't allow different people to make tablets running iOS and tries to get its iSheep to conform to believing one and only one very expensive tablet at a time fits all, that doesn't mean that all the tablets using Android should not be counted as one device, surely?

Christopher England <(Address removed)> said:

........ whilst Marxist Apple doesn't allow different people to make

tablets running iOS and tries to get its iSheep to conform to believing
one and only one very expensive tablet at a time fits all, that doesn't
mean that all the tablets using Android should not be counted as one
device, surely?

Does anybody know if anybody has tried to be really clever and attempt to install iOS on say a Samsung Galaxy phone ? There Cannot be any technical reason why it could not work - especially as Samsung make most of the chips for iPhone's anyway ? I guess that Apple have written iOS so tightly hardware tied to Apple products that it just throws up multiple errors and threatens to tell mum if anybody dears try it. I guess there are built in drivers in mobile OS's as well that would need to be replaced to make it work on different hardware. Just a thought as i often read about people removing their manufacturer specific build of Android (nicknamed - rooting) and installing un-official or beta Android builds on their Android phones. As already pointed out , iOS and Android are technically almost the same , being both based on Unix / Linux code.

Of course , i suppose there is no real reason why anybody would want to install Apple software on their no-Apple phone or tablet, other than a poke in the eye to Apple from a hacker. Well..... once an anorak - always an anorak :-)

Of course , i suppose there is no real reason why anybody would want to
install Apple software on their no-Apple phone or tablet, other than a
poke in the eye to Apple from a hacker. Well..... once an anorak -
always an anorak :-)

Apple products, whilst, as we know, being comparatively useless, are extremely shiny-shiny and always win hands down on looks. Maybe there's a value in ripping out iOS and putting a version of Android on board to make them function properly and brilliantly as well as look good...!

On 25 October 2011 15:14, Christopher England <(Address removed)> wrote:

Apple products, whilst, as we know, being comparatively useless, are
extremely shiny-shiny and always win hands down on looks.  Maybe there's
a value in ripping out iOS and putting a version of Android on board to
make them function properly and brilliantly as well as look good...!

I give up. Let's agree to disagree.

I give up. Let's agree to disagree.

Can't we just agree that I'm always right about everything, and should really be awarded a Knighthood for my services to people's blood pressure?