Two points here:
1. The closed Apple approval needed for apps is probably precisely why the more open Android platform is more susceptable to virus writers.
And also why anyone jailbreaking their iphones or ipads should be very vigilant against virii or other attacks from seemingly innocent software.
2. As I said before, we should be comparing actual hardware sold (eg Galaxy Tablet vs iPad) rather than Android vs. iPad because otherwise you're not comparing like with like. And if you compare Android vs
ios, should we also not take into account the various flavours of Android.
Basically, it's a Linux vs BSD Unix argument; neither side will
concede that the other has better points, while in reality the two systems are very very similar internally. Non programmers will
probably see this as gobbledygook, but that's how this ex-Unix programmer sees it!
Simon Crees <(Address removed)> said:
As a footnote to this article , i have read elsewhere recently that the
rise in popularity of Android OS on phones especially has got it noticed
by the Virus and hack writing community. It is therefore now sensible to
at least be cautious about which apps' you install and, at best ,
consider having some sort of basic intivirus app installed. I use one
simply called 'Antivirus free' available on the Android market which
simply scans anything new that you install to ensure it is safe - it
only scans new stuff, so does not consume system recources and slow down
you phone and does nothing during normal use.
It's also a good idea to resist downloading Apps from non-Market
sources, and keeping the third-party Market places access disallowed.
I find a bit of seriously reading the reviews and looking to see what
else has come out of an App stable is a good idea as well. It's sort of
like checking things out before parting with money on eBay.
Free thought + Free speech + Free radio = Anorak Nation
From our sources
- World Cup 2014: ITV to enjoy first pick as BBC faces England gamble
- Quite a few ‘famous names’, well, for some it’s ‘used to be famous names’, are fingered and in the process...
- Well, another night of all my radio entertainment being supplied by the bizarre Radio England UK.
- THE MESSAGE OF THE GEORGIA GUIDESTONES 1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with...
- I previously included an article (here) on England’s England about how I had photographed a human leg...
- Not that I’m paranoid or a trouble-maker or anything, but I do like to watch the Ministry of Defence...