The main problem (nearly) all radio stations have - and like Eric, I can speak from experience - is that to a large extent, the programmers don't give a monkeys what the listeners want... In the early noughties, I worked for a group of small radio stations and once overheard a conversation betewwen some of the DJ's and their then PD. One jock queried why their stations weren't playing something or other, and the PD bit his head off by saying "I'm not f***ng interested in what the listeners want - All I'm bothered about is keeping the shareholders happy!"
and that sums up just about the size of the problem...Whilst the big companies are in the pockets of the moneymen, the listeners don't come a close third fourth or fifth....It's all down to money and looking after the shareholders. Even the advertisers, who really should call the tune here, are hoodwinked into parting with huge amounts of cash, when many of the stations know darn well the advertising isn't going to work for them - but THAT is a whole other story, which I'd love to discuss some time....

Chris D

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Anorak Nation] Future radio - IT's DAB then

You know, the jukebox bit is the one thing I can't understand about programming mentality. I mean, don't radio station programmers take a look at what people, especially the youngsters, are doing? It started with the walkman and now with mp3/iPod technology you can put thousands of tracks onto a playback device. With my 160Gig iPod I could put on around 3 months worth of continuous music without repeating a track!

I have run a couple of businesses in the past and was careful to identify my USP - what made me special over the competition. I would have thought that radio stations should be asking themselves questions, such as "why do listeners actually listen to the radio?", "what do they want from my radio station? and "what advantages do I have over the competition" (and conversely "what are the disadvantages?"). Surely it's basic stuff, alongside "what sort of listeners do I want to attract?"

For me, the answers would include "hearing something new", "learning something new" and "being entertained". I would far rather listen to an intelligent, amusing, informative host present a selection of tracks than listen to a jukebox. Am I really that unusual?

As for the airline CEO, spot on, it's about being in touch with your customers (and prospective customers).

Alan
--------------
Alan Milewczyk aka The Pole with Soul
Soul pix on the net at http://www.soulman1949.com
Soulman1949's Blog at  http://soulman1949.blogspot.com/

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Anorak Nation] Future radio - IT's DAB then

Well they could try not being a jukebox – actually there was an interesting piece about the CEO of an airline on CNN, one that's making a profit. No he doesn't have a private jet, goes to work on the bus, goes on flights as an attendant to see what needs doing. His first move when he became CEO was to pull the old office down and open-plan everything. He's attitude is he should stay in touch with the people and his team – good lesson me thinks.